The Cooper Legacy
Nestled on the banks of the majestic Krishna river, in the idyllic foothills of grand mountains and forts such as Ajinkya Tara, Sajjangad, Jarandeshwar, you will find Cooper Corporation astutely redefining business, spearheading innovation and serving customers worldwide.
The Cooper family has been in Satara for more than a 100 years now and has established its name in many diverse fields, ranging from agriculture, education, social reform, politics to liquor, engineering, and other industries.
Its name is associated with many luminaries like Chatrapati Bhonsale Scions, Yashwantrao Chavan, Prabhodhankar Thackeray, Karmaveer Bhaurao Patil, Dr Ambedkar, Veer Savarkar, Walchand, Kirloskar, Kalyani, great reformer Keshavrao Vichare and Rajarshi Shahu Maharaj of Kolhapur.
Sir Dhanjisha B Cooper, the first entrepreneur in the family, came from a very humble background. His father was a carpenter in charge of repairing barrels at a distillery and hence, the family name, Cooper.
However, D B Cooper broke free from the family profession and started a liquor business by extracting toddy from palm trees in a plantation that he maintained. Simultaneously, he ran many liquor shops throughout the former state of Bombay Presidency.
Being an entrepreneur, he utilised his profits in starting a small company on Satara Road that manufactured ploughs, agriculture equipment, and years later, diesel engines. Eventually, the company went on to be known as Cooper Engineering Limited.
In those days of the British Rule, it was difficult for an Indian to establish an industry anywhere in the country. However, Cooper was one of the three - others being Kirloskar and Ogale - who chose to set up their own factories along the railway line.
Over the years, Cooper Engineering continued to grow under the joint ownership with the Walchand's into a multi-faceted engineering company making diesel engines, machine tools, looms etc.
Back then, Sir D. B. Cooper was also ably assisted by his only son, Nariman D. Cooper, who despite being an agriculture graduate, took to looking after the daily operations of Cooper Engineering.
Sir D. B. Cooper, eventually, sold Cooper Engineering to the Walchand group who continued to run the company as Cooper Engineering Limited for over a decade, in recognition of Sir D B Cooper's contribution to the organisation.
Walchand being a serial entrepreneur himself wanted to start manufacturing automobiles which was when Cooper also began the production of engines.
Cooper is now a name to be reckoned with in the foundry, engine components and engine industry with exports across the globe.
However, the company saw its share of lows before reaching its present status. It hit an all-time low following the untimely deaths of both, Nariman D. Cooper and Sir D. B. Cooper in quick succession in 1944 and 1947 respectively. During the interim period of 1947 to 1960, the late Homai Nariman Cooper took the mantle on herself to look after all the assets and properties in Satara till such time Satara Industrial Work started.
From 1968 to 1982, our primary business was machining of cylinder liners and crankshafts, and since we did not have a foundry, the growth and prospects of the company were limited. Hence, we decided to start the foundry in 1982 to become an independent, autonomous,and cost-effective business entity.
Satara Industrial Works became Cooper Metals Pvt. Ltd. and later on the 29th of January 1982, Cooper Foundry Pvt. Ltd. was incorporated by Mr Farrokh N Cooper.
Since then, for the last five decades, under the leadership of Mr. Farrokh Cooper, Cooper Corporation (formerly Cooper Foundry) has grown to become a prominent engineering company, manufacturing and supplying to world’s renowned manufacturers a wide range of automotive products and acting as OEM supplier of centrifugally cast cylinder liners, sleeves, cylinder heads, compacted graphite castings, aluminium castings and machined large engine crankshafts. The company took a big leap forward in 2007 and started manufacturing 2, 3, 4 &6 cylinder gaseous and diesel engines and generating sets in the range of 5 kVA to 500 kVA.
Now Cooper Corporation is a group of eleven manufacturing sites engaged in researching, designing, manufacturing and supplying precision engineered products worldwide.
|1921||Foundry begins manufacture of its first Indian-made all iron plough|
|1922||Built India’s first Diesel Engine in association with Imperial Keighly and Duncan Stratton|
|1923||Started manufacturing Power Oil Expellers (groundnut decorticator), crushers and sugarcane crushers|
|1940||Started manufacturing Hattersley Power looms|
|1942||Began the manufacture of CB, CC, CD types of horizontal diesel engines|
|1943||Started manufacturing N D Lathe and Capstan Lathe in collaboration with Alfred Herbert|
|1945||Introduced the KCEO Model Diesel Road Roller and Cooper Burn Type Road Roller|
|1949||Started manufacturing RCB / RCC horizontal diesel engines and medium speed horizontal diesel engines, designed by Mr. Tom Craven, AMI Mech|
|1954||CR26 Ricardo Comet III diesel engine introduced followed by CR19, CR14, CR40 & CR50|
|1962||Started production at Cooper Metals|
|1982||Foundation of Cooper Foundry Pvt Ltd.|
|2005||Cooper Foundry Pvt Ltd evolves to Cooper Corporation|
|2006||Started manufacture of Cylinder Heads|
|2007||Contract for Design of most modern Euro IV compliant CRDi Engine family with Ricardo. Commenced operations in our Export-oriented Unit (EOU)|
|2008||Began manufacturing Wind Power Castings|
|2009||Undertook project of 2 Cyl Engine & Genset. The R&D centre received recognition from the Department of Science & Technology, Govt. of India|
|2010||Govt. of Maharashtra confers upon Cooper Corporation a “Mega Project” status|
|2011||Started 3, 4 & 6 Cylinder Engine Development Programme|
|2013||Commencement of railways business – laser-hardening project for Liner, Head, Piston
Aluminium Foundry division – GDC, LPDC, HPDC
|2014||Established new foundry plant & machine shop at K-10.
Robotic line for machines started
|2015||Shifted to a new corporate office
Contract for Design – an extension of our most modern engine family with Ricardo, from 3.5kva to 1000 kva
Installed automatic 8-head carousel centrifugal casting machine
5-robotic cell for machining commissioned
Tractor Project was initiated.